From Ang Lee himself, getting in touch about his gratitude for his being nominated for Best Director and Best Picture for “Life of Pi.” It got many techical nominations, too! ELEVEN Nominations total! ONE behind leader “Lincoln’s TWELVE!And lest we not forget I have to mention that this film OPENED the New York Film Festival 2012! GO NYFF!
“I am deeply honored and frankly a little overwhelmed by all of the nominations that ‘Life of Pi’ has received this morning. So many talented people gave everything they had to this film, both in front of and behind the camera, and to see all of them receive this kind of recognition is something I am incredibly grateful for.”
Some fun facts about LIFE OF PI:
- Film is approaching $400 million worldwide gross
- Film is approaching $100 million domestic gross and Ang Lee’s highest-grossing film to date
- LIFE OF PI is Ang’s most Oscar nominated film of his career
- Ang Lee is the only director in the race this year to receive nominations from the Academy Awards, BAFTA, Golden Globes, DGA and the Broadcast Film Critics.
- While many have assumed that the film can’t win because it has no well-known actors, including an experienced lead actor, the film has made a sweep of key factions including DGA, PGA, WGA, BAFTA, ASC, VES, AFI, ADG, HFPA
- Previous films including BRAVEHEART, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING And believe it or not NONE of these films had acting nominations!No, reallY!
– LIFE OF PI fits with the precedent of films that win Best Picture with no acting noms for the following reasons:
- Large technical achievement (BRAVEHEART and LOTR: ROTK)
- No big star in the cast (SLUMDOG)
- Predominantly cast featuring people of color (SLUMDOG)
- Considered a great directorial achievement (All of them)
- Non-American stories (All of them)
- Ang is being recognized for his achievement with this film by VES (Visionary Award), MPSE (Filmmaker of the Year), and the International 3D Society (Harold Lloyd Award). He was also recognized this year as VARIETY’s “International Filmmaker of the Year” at the Mill Valley Film Festival, and he received a Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres insignia.
- Film is not a story specific to one country or region – it’s a world wide story
- Film based on best-selling book that is now back near the top of the NEW YORK TIMES Best-Seller list
- Film is Ang’s first foray into the world of 3D
- Famous quote from W.C. Fields about never working with animals or children, but LIFE OF PI has both animals, a young lead actor, and water – and the film successfully uses all three
- Film crew was comprised of over 3,000 members from all over the world, including members for 21countries worldwide.